Select Board
Tuesday, November 8, 2022 [Election Day]
Meeting Minutes

Attendees: Andrea Hodson, Chair; Kathy Scott, and Pegg Monahan

The meeting opened at 1:15 pm.

Reminder: Community Conversation – “Let’s Talk Trash” will be held Tuesday, November 15, at 7:00 pm at the Granite Mill. All welcome.

Shared policing – The board reviewed highlights of the previous meeting with Marlborough, noting the conversation continues. Both towns are undertaking reviews of a potential combined budget, and when and where savings could materialize. Andrea will develop 3 scenarios for both boards to consider, including the idea of hiring an additional officer. Simultaneously the board is prepared to continue with a police chief search and is weighing the tax rate impact, implications for town police facilities and overhead and longer term plans for revenue-generating possibilities. The board will request to meet with the Officer-in-Charge  Friday, November 18, in the afternoon.

Boundary line/building project inquiry – The board discussed an inquiry into the location of a reviewed and approved building project relative to a boundary line. They agreed to ask the building inspector to ascertain the measurement relative to the plans submitted and to discuss the concern with the property owner and contractor.

Church Alley – In ongoing research into the legal status of Church Alley, between the post office/store and School Street, the board considered whether this a road created by prescription under RSA 229:1, given the public’s continued use over a long period of time. Kathy Scott will discuss with town counsel. She shared feedback received from prior Select Board members on the reason the town halted maintenance, which was due to lack of documentation of town ownership or lack of a town easement over the property. The town also plans to undertake drainage and road improvements in this downtown area (Church and School Streets) and looks to address all of the maintenance issues as one comprehensive project, working with adjacent property owners.

Staffing – The board scheduled a Department Head meeting for Friday, November 18, from 9-11 a.m. to catch up on department matters.  On the Finance position, the board continued discussion of whether to streamline job functions, separating bookkeeping and payroll from grant writing or responsibilities, such as human resource management. Andrea Hodson raised the idea of a Town Administrator to oversee these and budget and other functions.

Water quality – Kathy Scott will pass on a reference to Jeff Cady as a potential resource if needed.

December SB Calendar – The board will meet December 1, December 8, December 15 all at 7:00 pm, and Friday, December 23, at 9am.

Community Power update – The EAC is finishing revisions to the Community Power Plan and will present the updated version to the SB. The chair noted this is a necessary update based on the Rulemaking by the PUC and the resulting need to add details to the plan, including details about how customer privacy would be protected.

Streetlight committee update – Kathy Scott reported that Eversource will put up a PEMCO light at the beach. No outdoor incandescent lights are available, only LEDs.  The Streetlight Committee will meet in December and discuss, among other things, an outdoor rate plan.

The meeting adjourned at 4:30 pm.