Select Board Meeting Minutes
Thursday, June 16, 2022
Town offices and zoom

Select Board: Andrea Hodson, Kathy Scott, Pegg Monahan
Attendees:      Town Clerk Cathy Lovas

Agenda – Following the addition of three agenda topics, including dog licensing, an update from the ZBA meeting of June 15, and the culvert grant opportunity, as well as the agreement to move the Police Department staffing topic to the end, members voted in favor to approve.

Minutes of meeting of 6/9  — With the addition of Jeff Cady to the list of participants at the June 9 meeting and the clarification that Pegg Monahan will prepare the recommendation for the employee manual for Andrea Hodson to review, the board approved the June 9th minutes.

Leave with pay policy – Pegg Monahan checked hire dates and is calculating appropriate percentages for four full time employees, plus the new police chief, plus 2 part time employees who work over 24 hours per week. The board will continue the discussion on this topic.

150th celebration and SB role – Kathy Scott updated colleagues on the schedule of events. The SB discussed logistics, the timing of SB participation, and ideas for additional fundraising to cover costs. Andrea Hodson will meet with Pam Thayer to discuss budget status.

Town clerk – dog license update – As required by law, the Town Clerk submitted to the Select Board the list of unlicensed dogs in town, which number 16. The RSA states that the SB has 20 days to ask law enforcement to enforce the statute. The SB will put this on their July 14 agenda.

Unpaved roads inventory – Pegg Monahan raised the concern that a culvert inventory, required as part of the grant application, won’t be completed by the application deadline of July 1. Members noted that the issue is scheduling availability of the Road Agent and/or contractor to map culverts and note their condition. The Board considered options to proceed quickly in order to meet eligibility and will work with the Road Agent to prioritize culverts most in need of replacing. Don Scott will join Wes Tarr and Pegg Monahan to discuss and provide input.

RC update – Kathy Scott reported on the Recycling Committee meeting. She noted the old compactor, some electronics and the trailer are ready for disposal. Jeff Cady will explore options and work with NRRA on this. The next meeting of the RC is Tuesday, July 12.  Kathy Scott also noted it’s likely some grant money will go into drainage work and fence repair.

Correspondence and other business
Zoning Board
– The board noted the ZBA granted the appeal of administrative decision filed by Scott and Cindy Stone. The Stones appealed the Planning Board’s decision of May 11 not to accept their subdivision application as complete due to the lack of a variance from the ZBA for frontage on a Class VI Road, Blood Hill Road.

Pay and payroll warrants – The SB signed the pay warrant in the amount of $4,737.60 and the payroll warrant in the amount of $17,471.13.

Repairs to Fire Department vehicles – The SB approved the roughly $2,500 estimate for repairs to two Fire Department vehicles, allocating the expense to budget line 4220-003 and agreeing to cover any overage from an unused budget line.

Deeded property redemption case – The party interested in redeeming a deeded parcel is working with counsel on the transaction paperwork.

Chesham neighborhood complaint – The board noted it has not heard back from property owners and still hopes to meet with them in the coming month.

Commercial buses for events – Andrea Hodson noted the feedback from Akhil Garland on his discussion with the bus company will be discussed next week.

Juneteenth holiday – The Select Board agreed to revisit adding Juneteenth to the town holiday calendar when it further discusses changes to the employee manual.

State primary – The state primary election is Tuesday, September 13. Voting will be at town offices.

Non-public session – The board moved per 91-A:3II to enter non-public session to discuss the police chief candidate position. No action was taken.

Subsequently, the SB moved to continue the meeting to Monday, June 20, 2022 at 7:00 pm at town offices to discuss the culvert inventory project.
Continue Meeting Minutes of the Select Board
June 20, 2022, 7:00 pm
Board members: Andrea Hodson, Kathy Scott, Pegg Monahan
Members of the public: Don Scott

The Board reconvened at 7:00 pm on Monday, June 20, to settle whether to pursue a culvert grant opportunity, one of several infrastructure grant opportunities that the Board has been evaluating. Having met with the Road Agent and Don Scott earlier in the day to discuss and review the grant size, focus, and application details, Pegg Monahan recommended and the Board agreed not to pursue application. However, the Board will stand by for a project proposal forthcoming from Southwest Region Planning Commission to produce a town-wide culvert inventory.

Per RSA 91A:3II, the Board then moved and voted in favor to enter non-public session for a brief update on the police chief candidate finalists. The board then moved and voted in favor to exit non-public session.  The meeting adjourned at 7:30 pm.