Select Board
Thursday, June 9, 2022
Meeting Minutes

Select Board:  Andrea Hodson, Kathy Scott, Pegg Monahan
Attendees:  Leslie Voiers, Jon Richardson, Chris Staples, Katherine Staples

The Chair called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm.

Agenda – Agreeing to move the Police Department staffing topic to the end of the agenda, the board moved to approve it as prepared.

Minutes of previous meetings, 5/27 and 6/2 – The SB approved the minutes of May 27, with the added comment on the ambulance service topic that the town is interested in the county’s plan for the regional ambulance hub in Swanzey, as well as for local satellite ambulance facilities.  For the June 2 meeting minutes, Andrea Hodson noted that the grant request or $21,162 is part of the other requests for the FEMA Hazardous Mitigation grant. Following agreement on edits, all voted in favor.

Deeded property redemption request case – followed up with legal counsel who will take over and process with interested party. Family will contact him tomorrow. They will deal directly with town counsel to proceed.

Chesham neighborhood complaint – The board confirmed that a letter was sent to property owners to invite them to meet and anticipate this will happen sometime in June.

Commercial bus parking – The board spoke to Akhil Garland, who will contact bus company operators and inform the SB what he anticipates volume to be this summer during event season. If the school parking lot would be available, the board noted this would alleviate traffic and noise resulting from parking in the village. The SB will contact Primex to ascertain possible locations and obtain their opinion. The board also discussed the Road Scholar program based in Swanzey. Their buses park during the day typically in the fall. No decision or action taken on the latter.

Building update – On the removal of the contaminated soil adjacent to the Fire Department, Jeff Cady is working with a vendor in Loudon, who requires sampling of drum contents prior to incineration.

School radar traffic signs are arriving tomorrow. Jeff Cady and Zach Byam are coordinating on the installation of these.

The SB will meet with Jeff Cady at the end of the month or in July to discuss maintenance projects for the second half 2022.

Grant updates – Andrea Hodson reported that, on the FEMA Hazardous Mitigation project grant request of over $100K, the next step is to hear back from FEMA on any or all items. The complete grant application would be due July 1.

The Local Equipment Recovery Program grant application was submitted on time and, if granted, would cover 90% of the cost for the police cruiser and signage for town hall and the fire department, with the town covering 10%.  The chair supplied paperwork and quotes.

Possible infrastructure funds would be available for municipally-owned infrastructure, including the South Road bridge over the Minnewawa Brook. The board will await information from the DOT Planning and Assistance Bureau on the application process. Harrisville is eligible for full funding of this project. Separately, state funds may also be available for repairs to the wall along Canal Street and the bridge on Island Street.   The board awaits an update from Southwest Region Planning Commission on the possibility of up to $400,000 in funds through the Culvert Replacement program.

Pay warrant – The SB signed the pay warrant in the amount of $61,275.17.

Budget update – Chair shared year to date budget information. No issues or concerns raised.

Employee manual – Pegg Monahan will continue her work regarding leave with pay for part-time employees depending on hours of work and years of service. She and Andrea Hodson will prepare updated recommendation for board consideration.

Correspondence and other business
150th planning, update – invites to local/state dignitaries. Pegg Monahan will follow up with the 150thcommittee on invitations to local and state dignitaries. More on this at next week’s SB meeting.

Electric Aggregation Committee, update – Andrea shared a diagram of tent setup for the EAC’s 150th/Old Home Day booth, noting that the booth is to be sponsored, assembled and staffed by EAC members.

June/July meeting schedule – The SB will meet on the following dates: Thursday, June 16, at 7:00 pm, Friday, June 24, at 9:00 am, Thursday, July 7, at 7:00 pm, Thursday, July 14, at 7:00 pm and Friday, July 29, at 9:00 am. There will be no meetings June 30 or July 22.

Non-public session – At 8:40 pm, per RSA 91-A:3II, the SB moved and voted in favor to enter non-public session to discuss the police chief candidate search.  The board voted to withhold the announcement on candidate selection until all paperwork is finalized. At 10:30 pm the board moved and voted in favor to exit non-public session.

The meeting adjourned at 10:30 pm.