Select Board Meeting
Thursday, April 14, 2022
Meeting Minutes

SB Members: Andrea Hodson, Kathy Scott, and Pegg Monahan
Attendees: Don Scott, Donna Sprague, Ryan Stone, Lisa Anderson, Jeff Cady

The Chair opened the meeting at 7:00 pm. 

Agenda, minutes – Members voted in favor to approve the agenda and the minutes of the previous meeting, 3/31.

Department & committee forum
-Planning Board development with PB Co-Chairs – The SB discussed for themselves and with the PB co-chairs upcoming training opportunities, including through OSI, NHMA, and DRA, in order to develop expertise for board and committee members. They also discussed how and when to use town counsel. The PB co-chairs will meet to finalize questions they have related to RSAs and subdivisions, will consult with Carol Ogilvie and then will reconnect with the Select Board.

PB membership – Ryan Stone noted that Ned Hulbert has transitioned to Alternate from full member. Peter Thayer was nominated to continue for another term as full member. Noel Greiner has retired following the expiration of his term last month. Don Scott was nominated to continue as Alternate.  The co-chairs confirmed that this leaves Don Scott, Jon Miner and Kate Neary as Alternates, and Ryan Stone, Lisa Anderson, Courtney Cox, Pete Thayer and Andrea Hodson as full voting members.

Subdivision information brochure, follow up – The PB co-chairs will review the draft subdivision process brochure and share feedback with the SB.

SWRPC Board of Commissioners – The PB co-chairs also reported that the PB voted to nominate Kate Neary, with Don Scott as alternate, as representative to the Southwest Region Planning Commission (SWRPC). Following discussion, the SB moved to approve all Planning Board appointments as named, in addition to moving to approve the nomination of Kate Neary as Harrisville’s representative to the SWRPC.  All voted in favor. 

Following up on last week’s SB discussion and Pegg Monahan’s expression of interest, Kathy Scott then moved to name Mary Margaret (Pegg) Monahan as SB Representative to the SWRPC. All voted in favor. 

Facilities update – Jeff Cady reported that the well that serves the Fire Department and town offices has been chlorinated. The Health Officer will take samples for bacteria in the coming weeks. In addition, per DES’s request, Mr. Cady will take soil samples adjacent to the generator. The estimated cost is $475 for 3 soil tests. Depending on results the soil will be removed or will stay. Mr. Cady will follow up with DES and the town will follow up with abutters following confirmation of sample results.

Facilities/other – The speed radar sign on Route 137 is up and working; the mini-split for heat/AC has been installed in the SB office; on the building exterior, Mr. Cady will replace the rotting trim and boards prior to painting; the library steeple painting is slated for May or June; and the windows for the Fire Department were ordered in late January but are not anticipated to arrive until the end of August.  Until a new police chief is hired, Mr. Cady will continue as alternate liaison to E-911.

Police Chief Search – The board discussed the interview and search process and will lay out a more specific timetable next week. Several applications have been submitted.

Recycle Center Project and reminders about RC stickers – Kathy Scott discussed with the board the broad questions facing the Recycling Committee and town, including visitor access, layout of the facility and the economics of recycling. She will contact NRRA to convey Harrisville’s interest in the Solid Waste Advisory Team (SWAT) program, if the town is eligible.

SWRPC and culvert inventory – Pegg Monahan noted that a funding match would be required from the Town for culvert inventory work and mapping done by SWRPC. SWRPC estimates the town’s portion would be $1-2K. The commission also could conduct a gravel road assessment if the town is interested. The culvert project would be eligible for ARPA funds. The SB will discuss all of this with the Road Agent.

Correspondence and other business
-Audio loop technology – The board revisited Leslie Voiers’s request for feedback on an enhanced audio system for the hearing impaired. Andrea Hodson shared her research into different options, noting a portable system was the most practical option for use at town meeting, in the SB conference room, and other locations. Andrea Hodson will share her research notes on the different system options, but neither a permanent installation nor a pocket system would work for the town’s needs.

-The SB signed the pay warrant in the amount of $29,001.01.

-The board tabled two topics for next week, Thursday, April 21: Municipal organization, SB procedure and updates to the Employee Handbook, as well as a debrief on NHMA’s Local Officials workshop.  For the agenda on Friday, April 29, the board will discuss and decide with Wes Tarr on the culvert project, and will announce the bid winner for paving of Mason Road.

At 9:24 pm, per RSA 91-A:3II.(l) the SB moved and voted in favor to enter non-public session for an update from town counsel. At 9:40 pm, the board moved and voted unanimously in favor to exit non-public session and to seal the related minutes.

The meeting adjourned at 9:40 pm.